WHAT IS REFLECTIONS?
The Reflections Art Competition is a National PTA program that starts at the school level. Each year students are invited to create original works of art around a theme. Pieces are evaluated by local artists and art educators. Top scoring works advance to the district level with the opportunity to advance to the state and even national level of the competition. And yes, we have had Cedarcrest students compete at the national level!
THEMES & ART CATEGORIES
Theme for 2022-2023: Show Your Voice
All students are invited to submit work on this theme in the categories of Visual Arts, Photography, Literature, Music, Dance and Film. All participants will be recognized in a virtual celebration and in an art show display at CHS.
- Literature – works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, prose, drama, short stories and lyrics. 2000 words or less, handwritten or typed.
- Music Composition – original musical composition, with or without words. Must not exceed 5 minutes in length and 1,000 MB (1,000 megabyte) in file size. Composer does not need to be performer. Multiple performers ok as long as composition is the original work of the student submitting.
- Photography: color or black and white, included techniques: photogram, negative sandwich, and multiple exposure. No smaller than 3x5 and no larger than 8X10 inches. Matting no larger than 11x14.
- Visual Arts: drawing, painting in tempera, oil, acrylic, watercolor & t-shirt paints, computer generated art, two-dimensional collage, printmaking, needlework & leather tooling. 24x30 inches, including matting.
- Film/Video: original works, with or without sound, of animation, narrative, documentary, experimental or music video/film. Must not exceed 5 minutes in length and 1,000 MB (1,000 megabyte) in file size. Mutliple performers ok but the film must be the original work of the student submitting. Screenwriting, directing, camera/filming and editing must be done by the student submitting. Use of tripod so student submitting can appear in film is ok.
- Choreography/Dance: originally choreographed dance composition. Must not exceed 5 minutes in length and 1,000 MB (1,000 megabyte) in file size. Choreographer does not need to be performer. Multiple performers ok as long as choreography is the original work of the student submitting.
SPECIAL ARTISTS DIVISION
Cedarcrest students generally compete in the High School division (grades 9-12). However, the National PTA special artist division is an option for students with a disability as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act(ADA). Generally, rules and guidelines within the special artists division are intended to ensure accessibility to the National PTA Reflections® program and are modeled after the guidelines outlined in the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
More information about this option can be found here.
Steps to enter the 2022-2023 competition will be posted here in the fall of 2022.
2022-2023 Executive Committee
Kappie Ayers & Shelly Campbell
Click here for the full Board roster
CONTACT CHS PTSA
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 672 Duvall, WA 98019
Social Media: On Facebook & Instagram @cedarcrestptsa
Cedarcrest High School
Riverview School District